Norwood CSA Food Co-op: Using the Extra Plums from the Past 2 Weeks by Patrice Hall

Thursday, August 15, 2024

Using the Extra Plums from the Past 2 Weeks by Patrice Hall

Using the Extra Plums from the Past 2 Weeks

by Patrice Hall

 

Four sealed Ball jars containing plum jam on a white paper towel.  Photo by author.

We received a lot of plums over the past 2 deliveries, and I decided to do something with them.  So I looked in my Ball Blue Book and found a recipe for jam, however this time instead of using the hot water bath method to preserve it I left it in the refrigerator.  I still used the Ball jars though.  Here is the recipe:

Take enough plums in order to prepare 2 2/3 cups pitted and finely chopped (I used 6 small plums for this, I think I also cut off too much fruit when I peeled them). Combine chopped plums and 3 tablespoons of fruit pectin (I used Ball Classic pectin) in a large saucepan.  Bring to a rolling boil which can’t be stirred down, do this over high heat while stirring constantly. Add 3 1/3 cups of sugar (I used Sugar in the Raw), stir to dissolve. Then return to a full boil, boil hard for a minute while stirring constantly. Remove from heat and skim foam from the top of the mixture. Ladle into jars then let cool, I usually leave them overnight. 

I canned some of the remaining plums, you can find that information in the National Center for Home Food Preservation website https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can/canning-fruits-and-fruit-products/plums-halved-or-whole/ , this is a great resource for preserving fruits and vegetables.

 

Three sealed jars containing canned plums on a white paper towel. Photo by author.

 

If you have a sweet tooth, you can make a stone fruit cobbler using the plums with the cherries and peaches we received in our past shares, here is a great recipe from Southern Living at this link.

Enjoy plums whichever way you choose!

 

**********

Interested in learning more about the Norwood CSA? Check out our Info Page: https://norwoodfoodcoop.blogspot.com/2021/10/how-to-join-norwood-csa.html

No comments:

Post a Comment