Norwood CSA Food Co-op: Basil – How I Love Thee!

Monday, July 12, 2021

Basil – How I Love Thee!

by Kathi Carter Rodriguez

Ahhh, the strong aromatic scent of basil! I was delighted to discover fresh basil among our goodies this week. I share the same sentiment about basil, as Robert Browning felt about his wife, Elizabeth, when he poetically, penned: “How I love thee, let me count the ways!” Hands down, basil is one of my favorite herbs. 

Aside from my personal sentiments about basil (aka Ocimum basilicum), it has legit bragging rights. Medicinally, it’s labelled an antioxidant and boasts both anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.  And, if you allow me to anthropomorphize basil as a superhero (I’m a Marvel comic fan), it would don the letter K for Vitamin K.  Basil is high in Vitamin K and our bodies require it for blood clotting, bone metabolism, and regulating blood calcium levels. 

Basil is also a suitable addition to your herbal first-aid kit because it’s useful for digestive issues such as gas, stomach cramps, vomiting and constipation. 

There are many ways to enjoy fresh basil.  I mostly enjoy it as a pesto or tea and on occasion add it to a pasta dish. Enjoy!

Basic Pesto

Image from Cafedelites.com/homemade-basil-pesto-recipe

2 cups of washed basil

3 cloves of garlic

4 tsp of nuts (walnut, pine nuts or pecans, whatever is available), 

½ cup olive oil and 

½ cup grated Parmesan cheese

 

Pulverize everything in the blender, except the cheese which you add after your mixture becomes pasty. Then blend again. Voila!  It’s ready.


Basil Tea

Image from Healthyliving.natureloc.com/10-tulsi-benefits-why-drink-tulsi-tea




2 cups of filtered or spring water

3 tbs thinly sliced fresh basil leaves

1 tbs grated lemon zest

Optional: honey 

While your water is coming to a boil, clean, slice and place basil in a glass. Add lemon.  Add water, cover and steep for 4 minutes. Strain, discard basil, zest. Optional: add honey (add according to taste preference)


No comments:

Post a Comment