Norwood CSA Food Co-op: Testing New Flavor Combinations - Braised Green Beans and Tomatoes by Patrice Hall

Monday, September 7, 2026

Testing New Flavor Combinations - Braised Green Beans and Tomatoes by Patrice Hall

 Testing New Flavor Combinations - Braised Green Beans and Tomatoes

by Patrice Hall 

We have received lots of green beans lately, which I usually cook with carrots and onions like I learned from my Mom.  She would also cook green beans with potatoes, seasoned with just salt and pepper because she usually bought fresh green beans.  Today I saw this recipe for green beans and tomatoes, a food combo which I never thought about because I usually don’t eat tomatoes much.  So, this recipe from Southern Living will be my first inspiration to cook this dish.

Ingredients

4 Tbsp. salted butter

1 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced (about 1 1/2 cups)

3 cloves garlic, minced

2 tsp. kosher salt

1/2 tsp. black pepper

1/2 tsp. smoked paprika

1 1/2 lb. green beans, trimmed

5 large Roma tomatoes, diced (about 2 1/2 cups)

1/3 cup water

1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice

2 Tbsp. minced fresh chives (for garnish)

Directions

In a large skillet or braiser pan, melt butter over medium. Add onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and smoked paprika; cook 5 to 8 minutes until onion is softened.

Add green beans, tomatoes, and water.

Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low. Cover and cook 30 to 35 minutes, stirring occasionally, until green beans are softened and tomatoes have broken down. If green beans get too dry before they are tender, add additional water, 2 tablespoons at a time.

Stir in lemon juice and sprinkle with chives before serving.

You can find the recipe at SouthernLiving.com here

Sauteed green beans in a large blue and tan striped bowl.   Credit:

Caitlin Bensel; Food Stylist: Torie Cox for Southern Living.

  

********** 

Interested in learning more about the Norwood CSA? Check out our Info Page.

No comments:

Post a Comment