Norwood CSA Food Co-op: Our Winter Share by Patrice Hall

Thursday, February 15, 2024

Our Winter Share by Patrice Hall

 

Our Winter Share - How we used the root veggies!

by Patrice Hall

When the summer CSA share ended in November, I was worried that we wouldn’t get fresh veggies in the winter and miss all of the flavors we enjoyed last season.  Well, thank goodness we were able to have a winter CSA season this year, this helps to supplement our grocery shopping with locally sourced items.  Vegetables are usually shipped over long distances and sprayed to preserve them for the trip, CSA veggies are usually picked the same morning of the pickup day so we can enjoy the farm to table goodness.

The potatoes, onions, carrots, turnips and green vegetables were used throughout the week.  I cooked the cabbage on our pickup day, along with the leeks, and this made a very nourishing side dish for my baked chicken.  I have not used the pumpkin yet; I may roast it or make another soup. This is prime soup season since it is so cold outside, also I am happy we finally have snow!  Later in the week I made chicken soup with the root vegetables, seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic powder.  I usually add turmeric for color but didn’t have enough on hand.  The weather forecast states that it will be mid 50’s by the end of the week, so I may make stir fry with the greens, carrots and onions.  The soup I made this week was nourishing, and I am looking forward to what next week’s share will bring!

*****

Registration for our CSA Summer Shares is currently open! You can find more information and everything you need to register here: https://forms.gle/xPD8sf1BSkNXpVyGA

 

No comments:

Post a Comment