Norwood CSA Food Co-op: My Reaction to the “12 Foods You Should Never Store In The Refrigerator” Article by Patrice Hall

Sunday, October 22, 2023

My Reaction to the “12 Foods You Should Never Store In The Refrigerator” Article by Patrice Hall

My Reaction to the “12 Foods You Should Never Store In The Refrigerator” Article 

by Patrice Hall

 

Fruits and Vegetables in the Crisper Drawer of a Fridge.

I tend to keep most of the food in the kitchen refrigerated, everything goes in the fridge or freezer, especially jars of whatever is opened.  All the CSA veggies are kept in the fridge as well, the root vegetables in the vegetable bin and the greens are wrapped in a paper towel and kept in the plastic bag or Ziplock.  Well, imagine my surprise when I read the article featured in Southern Living website “12 Foods You Should Never Store in The Refrigerator”.  Many foods we keep in the fridge actually need to be kept at room temperature, so I will list each food they featured and give a reason why we customarily refrigerate them.  You can find the original article at https://www.southernliving.com/food/kitchen-assistant/foods-not-to-store-in-refrigerator?hid=745d0323cff2b5ef4eba9d9382b7f96538eb0301&did=10485343-20231011&lctg=745d0323cff2b5ef4eba9d9382b7f96538eb0301:

1.      Tomatoes -I like cold tomatoes when I eat them, they taste good in sandwiches that way.  My mom never kept them on the counter.

2.      Onions -Laziness is the reason why I usually toss these in the veggie bin, it never spoils faster so it works for me 😊

3.      Potatoes -This is a toss up, depending on if there is counter space these will be tossed in the veggie bin.

4.      Oil – I am in full agreement with the article here, this stays on the countertop.

5.      Bananas -If they need to ripen, they are left on the kitchen table, if they are ripe, they go in the fridge, this is a matter of taste with us.

6.      Coffee -I fully agree with the article, this is in a large mason jar on my kitchen table.

7.      Honey- Unopened it is in the cabinet, once opened it goes in the fridge because it tends to get sticky outside the jar.

8.      Bread -We keep this at room temperature on top of the fridge as the article suggests, we keep our Ezekiel bread in the fridge as instructed on the package.

9.      Avocados -When ripe we keep it in the fridge, on the countertop when it needs to ripen.

10.   Garlic -This is a toss-up, depending on our mood…

11.    Melons -These go in the fridge, we like cold melon.

12.   Peaches, Plums, And Nectarines -These all go in the fridge, usually are canned later.

This is how we keep our food stored, however I may take some pointers from the article to see the results.

 

********* 

Interested in learning more about the Norwood CSA? Check out our Info Page: https://norwoodfoodcoop.blogspot.com/2021/10/how-to-join-norwood-csa.html

No comments:

Post a Comment