Norwood CSA Food Co-op: All about Black Radishes

Monday, April 4, 2022

All about Black Radishes

By : Jenny Pena

I have been a member of Norwood CSA for several weeks being this my very first Winter Season. While I decided to finally join a CSA because I wanted to support local farmers while also adding more fruits and vegetables to my diet. Since I hate wasting foods, every week my goal is to find recipes and ways to make sure I use all the veggies or share with neighbors. But I do have to say that the greatest reward is to be exposed to unknown items, and this past week I was introduced to the Black Radish.

I had no clue how to use it so with the help of some google searches and articles I found online I was able to confirm that this vegetable is packed with nutrients and also can be eaten cooked or raw. Since it was a new item I decided to include the black radish three different ways to find my favorite cooking (or non-cooking) method.

Black Radish can be eaten raw РI sliced it and added it to a nice salad using the spinach that was also included in the box; I saut̩ed some large dices of the black radish with butter and some thyme; and I sliced it very thin and sprayed some avocado oil and some salt before baking them in the air fryer.

All three methods were easy and delicious but my favorite was the simplest…I enjoyed it raw. It reminds me of jicama and has a great crunch to it. I can see this in my future with some guacamole or maybe used as part of a potato salad.

If you are curious about the benefits, see the following links:

https://www.organicfacts.net/black-radish.html

https://specialtyproduce.com/produce/Black_Radish_752.php

https://sodelicious.recipes/in-the-kitchen/cooking-with-black-radish/

Additionally, Teri Turner known as nocrumbsleft on Instagram and blog here - https://nocrumbsleft.net, one of my favorite food bloggers is the queen of salad platters. She is always sharing new recipes and ideas on how to refresh your salad game and include veggies in your daily meals. I always go to her site for inspiration and ideas on how to use the veggies that come with the CSA.

No comments:

Post a Comment