Norwood CSA Food Co-op: Three Cheers for Tomatoes!

Monday, August 17, 2020

Three Cheers for Tomatoes!

by Kathi Carter Rodriguez

My hubby absolutely LOVES tomatoes. He eats them year round and, like most people, enjoys eating them raw either in a salad or sprinkled with sea salt.  

Before becoming a CSA member, hubby and I would trek off to Whole Foods or Trader Joes to buy organic tomatoes. But, for the past three weeks we were delighted to receive freshly picked tomatoes sans the middle man.

I know that I don’t need to get atop my soap box to extol the benefits of tomatoes. But, I can’t resist a quick pitch: Tomatoes are rich in antioxidants; good for your heart; and may help reduce your risk for cancer.  Booyah! 

Below is a salad that I make daily for hubby’s lunch.  I used 4 veggies (tomatoes, carrots, and beets, parsley) from this week’s food share and a leftover radish from a prior week’s share. 

Ingredients:
Romaine lettuce 
2 tomatoes
1 beet (not shown)
2-3 carrots
1 radish
A handful of parsley
1 tablespoon golden flaxseeds 
4-5 slices of Applegate organic honey maple ham (Optional: chickpeas, tuna and/or salmon)
Any salad dressing that you like (hubby likes Italian; I like apple cider vinegar & EVOO)

Optional ingredients:  Avocados, feta, fresh ginger, and olives, turkey bacon and/or falafel.  

Don’t forget to follow us on Instagram and Facebook!


No comments:

Post a Comment