Norwood CSA Food Co-op: French Onion Soup with Spring Onions!

Friday, July 17, 2020

French Onion Soup with Spring Onions!


French Onion Soup!

I used to lump french onion soup into the category I have for complicated-sounding desserts, called “Best Ordered in a Restaurant and Not Attempted in my Kitchen.” You know, one of those advanced class dishes.

That was before last week, as we scrambled to finish the vegetables from the previous Norwood CSA share delivery. 4-5 spring onions, what to do? Soon, after Googling a recipe, I came to a shocking realization: not only is french onion soup pretty easy to make; I already had most of the ingredients in my fridge and pantry.

This recipe from Gimme Some Oven was super easy to follow and delicious. I used five small spring onions and one regular-sized yellow onion. I think the freshness and natural moistness of the spring onions made for a richer and more flavorful caramelization process. The dish was even more perfect and filling with a baguette from Madonia Brothers Bakery on Arthur Avenue that I’d been keeping in the freezer and later toasted in the oven. For garnish, I didn’t have thyme on hand, so I chopped a sprig of oregano from our rooftop garden. Turns out you can eat this herb once it starts to flower (I think, anyway).

Also, a note: for anyone who saw someone identical to me in the Dobbs Ferry Stop & Shop adding Progresso french onion soup to her cart during early days of quarantine, you are surely mistaken; I'm far too much of a cook to commit such a mortal sin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment