Norwood CSA Food Co-op: A CSA and a Pandemic

Monday, July 27, 2020

A CSA and a Pandemic

I learned to cook while living in Queens, where my apartment was a stone’s throw away from the Astoria-Ditmars Boulevard stop on the NW Subway Line. 

I’d browse recipes online during my commute home from work and mentally prepare dinner as the train snaked through the borough at sunset. Next I’d scoop the ingredients from my local veggie market and Key Food supermarket, which were both about 300 feet from the subway platform and a 10-minute walk from home. Little changed when I moved to the north Bronx; I have a grocery store within walking distance here, too. 

Given my love of food and eating in general, I was pretty excited to join the Norwood CSA Co-op last summer, and perhaps even a bit smug.

But it turned out, for all my cooking prowess, I wasn't great at having a weekly CSA share. I often couldn’t resist the temptation of grabbing new vegetables for dinner, and abandoning those from that week’s share that were already in the fridge. My partner John, who spent his summer after college working on a farm upstate, was rightfully perturbed by this perceived lack of CSA commitment — he remembers all too well the physical anguish that accompanies pulling root vegetables from the ground for hours on end, and during rain, shine and extreme heat. A full day in the field would leave him so depleted that he’d be in bed before dark most days. Relating this experience to our current situation, he said, “If someone’s going to take the time and energy to grow and harvest these vegetables, we might as well eat them.” Hm, true. Can't argue with that.

purple pepper, red kale, quinoa and spring onions 
This year has gone a lot better. In part because of the pandemic, I’m not tempted to visit the grocery store impulsively. I’d also agree with Mo’s sentiment in an earlier post that the CSA this year just felt necessary; a calming contrast to our world in chaos. A benefit of working from home is that I can prepare lunch every day, which forces me to step away from my phone and computer, and simply recharge for 30 minutes.

 In many ways, having a CSA has changed the way I cook. Here’s what I have learned: 

  1. Instead of asking myself, “if I could eat anything for dinner right now, what would it be?” I go with “which of these vegetables look the most delicious right now?” 
  2. Arm your pantry with key sauces, oils and spices you enjoy and will use often. This is helpful since a CSA veg like cabbage is versatile and can be the centerpiece of Asian stir fries, coleslaw, and minestrone soup, among many other great dishes.
  3. Eat your greens. Love salad but your share only included root veggies this week? Don’t despair! Mix them with any leafy green for a great spring (er, summer) mix. Radish greens work great in this way. Cascading carrot tops also don’t always need to be composted. Here’s a recipe for carrot top pesto

cherry cobbler and greek yogurt 
Now in my second year with the CSA from Norwich Meadows Farm, I opted for some additional items, including eggs and Greek yogurt, and feel I’m moving closer to a CSA diet. Also I’m learning a ton of new things. Did you know that diluted greek yogurt can be substituted for coconut milk in curry recipes? Try it! This year I've been repeating CSA favorites from last year such as pasta a La everything and this cherry cobbler, which I previously wrote about

During the pandemic many of us have needed to adopt new ways of living and working. Maybe you're like me and the changes have helped kick a bad habit or two (in my case, not showing my CSA veggies the love they deserve). But even if they didn't, no matter. Through these coming weeks and the ups and downs they're sure to bring, may we be inspired by the warm weather and our summer share boxes, and continue to live in peace, love, and vegetables. 

Happy cooking and be well, everyone. 


No comments:

Post a Comment