Norwood CSA Food Co-op: What is that? Kohlrabi!

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

What is that? Kohlrabi!

Kohlrabi is an unusual looking vegetable that is fairly common at New York farmer's markets and in CSAs. Since I've been in the CSA I received it each season.  This veggie is quite versatile. It's in the cabbage family, so it kind of tastes and smells like a cabbage, but it has the texture of a radish or jicama.  Whether you use it raw in a slaw or fried in a fritter, it's definitely a lower calorie alternative to some root veggies.

Risotto
Kohlrabi
Norwich Meadow Farms has a cool facebook group for its CSA members, if you are for Norwood CSA or interested in connecting with CSA members join.  One of the members posted a New York Times kohlrabi risotto recipe, which I made with last week's share.

I followed the preparation, sauteeing the onions, garlic and kohlrabi first, but I had to improvise a bit. I used water instead of stock, which worked out fine, I just needed more seasonings (peppers, garlics). I also added some sundried tomatoes and bok choi.







Picture: http://turtletreeseed.org/product/179-lanro-kohlrabi/

No comments:

Post a Comment