Norwood CSA Food Co-op: Spinach and Leek Quiche with Roasted Veggies

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Spinach and Leek Quiche with Roasted Veggies


With leeks, a little goes a long way. I love leeks; I find them sweeter than onions and they don’t make me feel icky afterward if I eat them when they’re not cooked through. So, when I got a bodacious leek from the CSA, I was determined to use the whole thing.

Needless to say, the warm leek vinaigrette didn’t exactly do it.

I’m not typically into huge chunks of onion in my quiche, but leeks tend to be a bit more delicate (they’re also easier to chop into fine strips), so I went for it. I’m attempting to be healthy as of late, and I’m cooking for one, so I felt less inclined to load the quiche with cheese, bacon, and buttery pie crust.

(On that note, I’ve been fawning over this recipe for quiche with brie and beets. If you make this or have ever made it, please tell me all about it in graphic, vivid detail. Don’t spare a single detail.)

Aside from some heavy cream mixed in, this quiche is bread-less, bacon-less, and crust-less. I do not recommend this, but it worked for me.


Getting to business!

I sautéed a bunch of spinach in a pan. Again, because I was hoping for a healthier option, I didn't add any oil to the pan. Spinach will cook nicely on its own. 

Then leeks. These did need oil, and boy was I happy to give it to ‘em.

Meanwhile, I whisked six eggs and a squirt of heavy cream in a mixing bowl. 

I buttered a pie dish.


I’ll be honest: I singed some of my leeks. No one’s perfect. Good thing leeks are big enough that there was plenty of un-burnt leek to use.

Once I salvaged the survivors, I mixed everything together in a bowl, added some salt and pepper, and baked it for ~30 minutes.


If I was in a real hurry in the mornings, baking this in a muffin pan would have been an easy way to get some pre-portioned breakfast to go.




On the side, I roasted up some beets with olive oil + salt + pepper. Roasted potatoes are great, too! (Really, is there anything better than simple, roasted veggies?) As for that warm leek vinaigrette, I used it on some of our fresh lettuce.

Even the finished plate was pretty...


2 comments: